Friday, July 11, 2008

The Biggest Drawing In the World

With no Mona to deliver the Friday Word o' the Week to those bloggers in orbit around her, we are as lost little children. Luckily, I have been saving this for a rainy day.


I stole this from the ever-interesting Strange Maps, which is a blog devoted to...you guessed it, strange maps. A Swedish artist named Erik Nordenankar sent a GPS device around the world via DHL, to whom he gave detailed instructions. The "drawing" is the path of the GPS device as it traveled, by boat and truck and plane. It's a self-portrait, which makes it even cooler!



A slight adjustment in cool quotient: I just read on the artist's own blog that this is a purely theoretical project, and still in the planning stages. No GPS device was actually sent (although the detailed instructions, the meat of the piece, were drawn up). Which makes it slightly less cool, but not significantly. You can learn lots more about it by visiting his site (and as I only skimmed it, you'll likely end up knowing more about it than I). I got the sense that DHL caught wind of the project and was not amused.



Obama voted in favor of the onerous wire-tapping bill. I am quite disappointed. Even Hillary voted against it! But I guess she's not running for anything,...

6 comments:

Noel said...

There's a map I think you'd love, it's a science map (I think it's called Science Map) where this person took all these academic journals and coded them as a venn diagram and color coded them making it look like a wonderful piece of art. If I can find the link, I'll post it up here for you.

Anonymous said...

CC, I was all set to relaunch my own stumbling blind monkey of a blog with Mona's Poetry Friday Challenge and what happened? She's still in Fourth of July land, happy and drunk and probably sunburned. Sent me reeling wildly for something! anything! to post. *sigh* Looks like you recovered from her absence with much more grace and aplomb. :)

Clowncar said...

Looking forward to seeing the map, Noel.

Hey Irr, you're back! Yay! I saw you had changed your header a few days back and figured you'd be back soon. I hereby declare today a Monster Monday in your honor!

Noel said...

Found it! Took some digging, but here's the flikr where I found it and it has a link to the website.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7446536@N03/430561725/

Mona Buonanotte said...

We should all totally do this GPS thing...get all the cool bloggers involved!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Well I like the map, very much.

Thanks for posting it.

Now... emm... where's the rain? We need it, it's hot out there!!


Scarlett & Viaggiatore