Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gamera vs. Guiron

Okay, now we're getting to the good stuff.

I gave this movie to my younger daughter for Christmas last year. It's easily the stupidest Gamera movie ever made, and that's saying something. For the culturally challenged, Gamera is the jet-propelled flying turtle hero, Guiron is the little knifey guy he's fighting. Guiron is controlled by two brain-eating Japanese Space Babes bent on destroying the Earth. Needless to say, Gamera and his little friends save the day.

We own two versions of this: the regular one (US title Destroy All Planets) and the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version, which is very funny. This is the MST3K version. (note: they pulled my original clip from Youtube, so I substituted another)



And because I can't resist (and because there's like ten thousand hours of MST3K on Youtube), here's Joel and the Bots performing the Gamera theme song. It's a classic.


And what the hell, this is Mike Nelson channelling Michael Feinstein singing the Gamera song. This makes me laugh every time I see it. Just insanely funny.



By the way, you can get Mystery Science Theatre DVDs at mst3k.org for 6 bucks each. 5 bucks if you get ten of them. Which I did. It's linked over on the sidebar as well.

8 comments:

Eric Shonkwiler said...

I choose to believe the plot revolves around killing the white boy.

Dig the Bob Dylan reference.

Clowncar said...

What Bob Dylan reference, E? It was unintentional. Although I'll gladly take credit....

Lynnea said...

ok I laughed so much I'm crying. I ran out of breath. Then I watched it again (the first video clip) and went insane laughing and crying again. Thanks.

Eric Shonkwiler said...

It was one of the MST3K guys. I can't remember what he said now, no speakers at work.

Clowncar said...

Maggie, these clips make me laugh every time. You really should get some at mst3k.org. They're cheep!

You have a job, Eric?

Anonymous said...

OMG they're THAT cheap? I've got all the Sci-Fi channel episodes on VHS, but I'm afraid to watch them too often for fear of deterioration. It's SO ON!

And who knew Mike was an accomplished lounge pianist?

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Just wondering... did you go to Starfest and MileHiCon?


;o)


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Anonymous said...

Boy, that left me confused.