Monday, January 4, 2010

Balance

I loved the fact that the old year ended and the new year began with a full (and blue!) moon. I've talked here in the past about how a full moon always rises just as the sun is setting, and the magic inherent in that moment. That feeling that you are balanced between moonrise and sunset, night and day, is just delicious. So to feel the old year and the new year caught up in that same teetering moment was gravy. We drove to the banks of the Arkansas, watched it rise, all bright and round and coppery. Just lovely. Wonderful way to end the year.



We told the girls they could stay up til midnight, if they could stay awake. They did, barely. Their first New Year's Eve. Or first one awake, anyway. We banged pans on the front porch to celebrate the moment. They were asleep by 12:05.

My only resolution last year was to write the novel.

My only resolution this year is to do my best to sell it.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

Sounds pretty darn perfect.

Right your are (but you knew that) about my moon shot. I was straight up about that though.. and indicated that it was a January 1 moon right under the photo. I wasn't trying to deceive.. New Year's Eve was cloudy. :)

ArtSparker said...

Wow, sounds like a keeper memory for your girls.

Gordo said...

We could all do better with some balance in our lives.

Noel said...

That's an admirable goal for the new year. Also, yes. I noticed the blue moon and it was so fitting how with it out, the streets were so light, finding my way home was easy. It felt as though things ended at peace.

Noel said...

That's an admirable goal for the new year. Also, yes. I noticed the blue moon and it was so fitting how with it out, the streets were so light, finding my way home was easy. It felt as though things ended at peace.

Clowncar said...

Hil, I'd never accuse you of deception. I was just having a geek moment. I'm a little obsessed with the full moon. Any moon, actually.

Oh, I don't know, Art. They don't pay much attention to the moon. They like to sit in the front seat and play with the steering wheel and the buttons.

A perfect thought to begin the new year, Gordo.

Noel, it lent such a blessed air to the last night of the year. Like the sky was smiling down on the night's festivities.

ArtSparker said...

I remember my first New Year staying up late, the event. So maybe...