Thursday, February 18, 2010

Near Dark

Lil hux and I watched Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker last week.  Great date movie!  Brutal, powerful.  Stays with you.  Though, oddly, the image that sticks in my mind days afterward is that shot of the limping cat.

I was lucky enough to see a movie Kathryn Bigelow made twenty years ago in a real theater (in Times Square, no less).  I've been touting it as the best vampire movie ever made since.  It is, though it's sort of a western/vampire hybrid.  These vampires aren't dreamy tween fantasies.  They're mean, and bloody, and hungry.   The excellent Bill Paxton is in it, chewing some serious scenery.  Lance Henriksen is predictably menacing.

Worth watching for the bar scene alone.


3 comments:

Last Tango said...

Just went on my Netflix. How did this get by me?

Sueann said...

I like Brahm Stokers' Dracula...that was my fav. Haven't seen this one or even heard of it. Where have I been?? Thanks for the recommendation.
Hugs
SueAnn

Clowncar said...

Gotten it yet, Tango? I haven't seen it in over a decade. Hope it's aged well.

It did not get a wide release, Sue Ann. I knew of it only because of my extreme geekdom. It's WAY bloodier that Mr. Stoker's version.