Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Just Married



My Mom and Dad, 19 years old. Just married (Dad wasn't sure until he spied the wedding ring on his finger). It looks to me like Mom is pulling Dad's hand up to somewhere more appropriate, but Dad's theory is that the photographer just made a risque remark.

They sure look happy. Off in their own little world.

After my mom graduated from high school in Idabel, Oklahoma, she hung around town for a couple weeks, helping around the house. One morning she helped her Mom pick blackberries, went to her brother John to borrow 8 dollars, and left town. Took the next bus to Dallas, where she stayed with an aunt, and waited for my Dad to return home from the Korean War. It was a leap of faith into an unknown world.

She died last month, on September 21. She was 78 years old. A life is so much more than just memories, but memories are what remain. She lived a long and courageous life. She will be missed, and always loved.

13 comments:

ArtSparker said...

That photographic is so lovely. Very sweet post.

Eric said...

I second ArtSparker. My condolences, and my best to your father.

Emma J said...

I would want to be remembered just like this - in a sunny photo, in a happy moment, on an ordinary day that decided the rest of my life.

And your line about memory reminded me of something particularly lovely Philip Graham wrote recently. I'll include the link in case you'd like to read it.

Best wishes for comfort and peace.

Hilary said...

Aww I'm so sorry for your loss. That's a wonderful photo you've chosen. Your family is in my best thoughts.

Land of shimp said...

I'm sorry you lost your mom, I'm sure it is a difficult time.

They look like a lovely young couple, and I can't think of a nice compliment than saying they had a ready laugh, which is a great thing to have be a part of your life.

More than memories remain though. There's love too.

Bright blessing on you, and yours. I don't know what you believe, heck, I don't really know what I believe...but I don't think love actually dies, and I think you will see her again. Hopefully after a long, courageous life of your own.

Land of shimp said...

Nicer, I meant nicer...not nice. There's plenty of "nice" things to say about your parents!

Gwil W said...

"Time bears away all things" (Wiki-Quote)
Virgil died on 21st September 19BC

An auspicious date then. Perhaps it means something.

Laurita said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This is such a wonderful picture. I love the expressions on their faces. A good way to be remembered.

Fresca said...

A powerful loss.

May her memory be a blessing.

I shall light a candle for her. And you.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

*ENORMOUS HUGS*
I'm so sorry to hear this news.
They look very, very happy; I love the photo. I love that this is how you chose to share her with us. Beautiful, forever.

Peace, abundantly.

Scarlett

Clowncar said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words and thoughts. I'm glad the photo resonated with you all as much as it did with me.

And thank you especially to Emma, who shared this wonderful sentence: "I would want to be remembered just like this - in a sunny photo, in a happy moment, on an ordinary day that decided the rest of my life."

femminismo said...

So sorry the world has lost another bright soul. There's not enough of them! I loved Emma's message. Wonderful thought, and the photo is so lovely. They look like wonderful people!

Sarah Sometimes said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for sharing with us the beautiful, hopeful picture of your young parents. Sending you lots of good thoughts.