Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fritter My Wig!

I'm so happy to be finally released from the prison of children's picture books. We finished Charlotte's Web last week; this week is Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark. It doesn't make any real sense to the girls, but it doesn't need to. It sails on the strength of the rhythms, the sounds of the words. Lewis Carrol was a genius.



These stanzas in particular made the girls laugh last night.

He would answer to "Hi!" or to any loud cry,
Such as "Fry me!" or "Fritter my wig!"
To "What-you-may-call-um!" or "What-was-his-name!"
But especially "Thing-um-a-jig!"

While, for those who preferred a more forcible word,
He had different names from these:
His intimate friends called him "Candle-ends,"
And his enemies "Toasted-cheese."


Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland is next. I cannot wait.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, back to reading to my boys. Who cares if the oldest is pushing 12? :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Alice in Wonderland. I had a book on tape for that and Through the Looking Glass and I listened to it incessantly. I was so excited when I got old enough to read it myself!

Have you guys looked at any of the finding books? Look!, Look Again!, Animalia, etc? I love those still :)

meno said...

Oh HEY! I just thought of The Thirteen Clocks, by James Thurber. One of the best books EVER to read out loud. I bet your kids would love it.

Rudi said...

Enormous *SIGH*.

Trumpet of the Swan also by E.B. White is fun. Tuck Everlasting, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Narnia, Redwall, Middle Earth and on and on. So much good stuff and so much picture book crap to avoid it still astounds me.

Two thoughts if I might (but I'm going to anyway we all know).
1) My kids didn't like Alice in Wonderland. We read lots of things but that one didn't "click". Go figure.
2) I bought a journal for each of my three daughters when we started to read "chapter books" together. Each time we finished a book I had them write it in there. It was fun to watch the list grow. It also gave me a sappy chance to write something to them inside the front flap :-).

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I have a whole new level of admiration and respect for you; you read to your kids!!!!
That's FANTASTIC!
I wish more parents did. And you're reading classics!! I can't tell you how wonderful that will be for both you and them.

Don't forget Mark Twain and Rudyard Kipling... I'd *highly* recommend Kipling's "Just So Stories".

YAY!!!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Clowncar said...

We'll read to them til they beg us to stop, Grodo. At around age 10, I'm guessing.

Bliss. Never heard of the Looking books, but I'll keep an eye out. I burned a CD of Alice from LibriVox for them, but they got bored about 10 minutes in.

Meno, I'll check it out. Never heard of it. But I love Thurber.

Rudi, as I said above, the audio book of Alice bombed with the girls. And we have to read in a pretty animated fashion to get em through Snark. But with lotsa goofy voices I think we can hook em into Alice.

Scartlett, I loved Just So Stories growing up, and had forgotten all about them. We'll definately give those a shot.