Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What a world! What a world!*

The clowncar clan were all atwitter last week upon learning that The Wizard of Oz was going to be in the movie theater, lil hux in particular. Then we learned that tickets were a criminal $10 each. And that's before popcorn!

Screw that.

So. We went to Amazon and ordered the DVD instead (and since the theater showing was meant to promote the release of the DVD, we were playing right into their greedy hands, but that's a horse of a different color). I haven't seen the movie in two decades or so. I had forgotten how good it was.



I think a reason, beyond plot, beyond character, that movie has stayed popular for as long as it has is that the imagery is so arresting. The tornado. The poppy field. The first wicked witch's legs curling up when she loses the slippers. The second wicked witch melting. The red sand running through the hourglass. And those deeply disturbing flying monkeys, which still seem like something straight out of a nightmare.

They scared me to death as a kid. My girls just thought they were cool.

* It's what the witch says as she is melting.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh I'd be so tempted to see it on the big screen anyway. But nice that you all got to see it together. THose flying monkeys were terrifying way back when.. but look what they've been exposed to since.

Clowncar said...

Yeah, Hil, I'm kicking myself a little for not seeing it on the big screen.

And those flying monkeys don't have the same effect in a world that creates Zombieland and Saw 5.